I was really excited when I opened my Christmas gift from Eric and the kids...a KitchenAid Mixer!!! For years I have wanted one, but could not justify the expense with my sad lack of cooking skills, but skills or not my sweet husband appeased my wants. I love my family!!!
We were so excited to try it out, the other day Eric and I decided to put it into action and a bake some HOMEMADE BREAD! I have never made bread before--I stick to chocolate chip cookies, cakes, and brownies...it was sooo much fun, and YES I was using my shirt as a hand towel!
We began our "adventure" at about 6:30pm with visions of soft, warm, mouth-watering bread to accompany dinner...um, so now I see why we just run to the grocery store and pick up a loaf or two. I was a little apprehensive, but I had the trusty Bernard's New and Complete Book of Breads--Revised and Expanded. The book is about 4 INCHES THICK! so I figured it was thorough enough for even me. I found the "Beginner's Loaf" recipe--THAT'S IT! THAT'S ME! We read and mixed and watched, read and mixed and watched, then FINALLY at 9:25pm we heard the final oven beep gloriously announcing the pecious loaves finished...
Eric says, "NICE LOAVES"
Two beautifully golden, hot, and perfectly browned loaves!
A MASTERPIECE
BUT, would it be edible???
A MASTERPIECE
BUT, would it be edible???
Kyla and Durham, the only two kids still awake, volunteered to be taste testers, and...TWO THUMBS UP!!! WE DID IT! But, wholly cow, someone could have told me it takes FOREVER!!!
I love my mixer, and today I made a nice QUICK batch of chocolate chip cookies. My visions of never buying bread again, and always having nice warm homemade slices at every meal were quickly clouded, but perhaps once a month?!?
2 comments:
Your loaves do look good! Yeah, no more hard slaving in the kitchen!!
You know what's funny--I got one for my birthday from the fam a few days ago too!! Jared wanted to get me a breadmaker (becasue he wants homemade bread-hahaha), but I told him I would use a mixer more.
Next year, you can make your homemade gingerbread house!;p
Ha, I finally found your blog. That's funny that we both got Kitchen Aids for Christmas. I keep saying I am going to use mine (along with that wheat grinder), but never quite make it. Maybe I'll forget the bread and just attempt the cookies!
Post a Comment