Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Friends are Forever

Another great thing about College Station is that I feel closer to my best friend Tami. I used to visit her grave every now and then whenever I came to College Station, but lives get busy, and I didn't make it up as often as I used to. Now I get to stop by and see her anytime. I took Marshall by the other day, and we sat and talked to her. It's sometimes feels just like when we used to sit on my bed together and just chat. :)
Tami and I met at church in College, and instantly became attached at the hip. She was from College Station. We felt like we had finally "found" each other. She was my very best friend, even though our time together was short--too short. Our birthdays are both in February, hers on the 17th and mine the 27th. For our 21st birthday we had a huge party at my apartment. The very next month she was killed in a car accident on March 27th. She was my light, my strength, my angel, my very best friend. I think I am who I am because she was a part of my life.
When we moved back to College Station and into our new ward, I saw her parents. I didn't think they would remember me, it has been so long. I hadn't seen them since the funeral. As soon as I walked into the room, her mother looked in surprise at me and fingered to me to come over. We sat together for the next hour laughing and crying, hugging and crying. It felt good to be with her mother and feel her spirit--they look alot alike. Her mother shared some things she said she hadn't shared with anyone, and she asked questions about me. She wanted to know how old I was (even though she knew Tami and I are the same age), how long I'd been married, how many kids I had. I know she was trying to see where Tami would be. I often think of that too. When she died, I couldn't understand why, we were just starting to make plans for the rest of our lives, we were just starting to mature, to figure out our place in this world. She wanted to serve a mission. But everytime I visit her, I feel peace. I know that we will be together again. I know that there is a plan, that we all have our parts, and this earth life is such a minor part of that plan in the vastness of eternity. I know my Heavanly Father loves us all, each individually. I am thankful for that knowledge, for that peace. And I am thankful that I got even the short time I did to spend with Tami here in this life, to build that bond that will last through the eternities.

No comments: