Sunday, May 30, 2010

Kyla's Baptism Day

Saturday May 29, 2010

Yesterday Kyla was baptized.
She looked so beautiful in her white Baptism dress.
When she was blessed as a baby, she wore a tiny little flower corsage bracelet tied around her wrist--Grandma Judy bought it for her, and it came with a little poem:

A bracelet for this little girl
Tied softly at her wrist,
Will hold a sacred memory
Of the day that she is blessed

Then let the flowers sit untouched,
Safely tucked away,
To nestle in her shiny hair
On her Baptism Day

As days turn into weeks and months...
Years filled with tears and joy,
Your precious girl will tell you
That's she's found the perfect boy.

So on the day that she is wed
The garter 'round her knee,
May hold the tiny flowers
Full of love and memories.
*Copyright Michal's Perfect Touch

I remember when we blessed Kyla, Eric held her in his arms, she was so tiny, so fragile. Her blessing dress swallowed her up completely. She wore her little bracelet. I thought at the time that baptism was so very far away, I was sure to forget all about the bracelet by then...Eight years went by way too fast. As I tied the little bracelet into a bow, and clipped it into her hair, and admired my beautiful little girl in her second white dress as her Daddy lowered her into the water, I thought about how fast my girl is growing up. How way too soon, I will be pinning it to a bridal garter and sending her off on her own. I am so very thankful to my Heavenly Father for entrusting me with such a precious sweet spirit.

I gave the talk on Baptism, as I've done times before for others, but this time as I explained to Kyla that she was now old enough to make her first covenants with her Heavenly Father, and that she was taking her first step in her own journey through this life, I felt the magnitude of my own responsibility to help guide her along the way. So many detours and distractions in this life, so many opportunities to loose your way. I am so grateful that I have the gospel in my life to pass along to my children. I am so grateful for the knowledge that we are NOT alone on this journey, that our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ love us. That They have given us a roadmap to follow and continue to help guide us along the way. My prayer is that Kyla will always remember her Baptism day. That she will always remember the special spirit that she felt that day. She is a wonderful, beautiful, and sweet little girl.
Kyla, I love you so much! I am so proud of you.






1 comment:

Mary Mathews said...

Such a pretty girl! What a day to remember. That is a super cute and sweet poem. I like the flower idea.